Monday, December 12, 2022

My Little Tree Complete and Christmas Movie List, Music and Thoughts

 Here's my little Amelia tree:

This contains an image of: 

It's complete with true-vintage Christmas cards from the 30s and 40s and little doggy and kitty ornaments not to mention a little elephant...My husband says it's just like me...old fashioned in a good way.  : )

 

 

 

A balanced woman of God sees herself as valuable, gifted, responsible for her own growth and maturity--not overly dependent on anyone to get her through life or to make her secure.  

 ~Charles Swindoll

 

 

A couple of years ago I started using a four foot tree and I'm so very glad I did.  I can keep it in my coat closet and pull it out myself.  I just put it on my childhood coffee table and it's wonderful.

What did I use to decorate my tree?

As I wrote in the last entry, I used a tube of pale pink dollar tree ornaments and little silver metal bell-type ones with old fashioned icicles too!  These are unbreakable ornaments, no one wants to visit a museum with little children, they want to visit a loving home where it's okay for little hands to touch things.  Of course everyone minds their manners. ; )  ....and hugs are many. 

This contains an image of:  These two little ornaments remind me of Elbee one of our kitties and Liesl one of our doggies.  Our oldest daughter, Janie just bought me the little kitty ornament recently.  Blue eyes just like Elbee.


This contains an image of:

This contains an image of:


This contains an image of:

This contains an image of:

This contains an image of:

This contains an image of: .

This contains an image of: .

This contains an image of: .

This one opens up to this:

This contains an image of:

This contains an image of:

This contains an image of:.

This contains an image of: 

These beautifully old and loved cards are so telling of a very thoughtful culture back in the 30s, 40s and 50s.   People treasured these darling cards, decorating with them throughout their homes and then carefully and lovingly securing them in scrapbooks to keep safe for years, many times until they passed from this green earth.  

Back then a Christmas card really meant something.   So very, very sweet.  

 

 


loading ... 

Photo by Robert Stock

 Looking for nice old fashioned Christmas movies?   Here's a partial list from a few years ago including some pics from when I was a little gal:

*Christmas Movie List*

 



 

It's peaceful here this time of year in the forest, in December there is a special kind of Peace...

 

This contains an image of: 

This contains an image of: 

This contains an image of: 

This contains an image of: 

EDIT 12.13.22    I love it when our neighbor's cows come to visit...I love to watch them, such wonderful and interesting creatures.  I talk with them and they seem to understand!  Once one was afraid and ran away, I quietly said:  "Don't be scared, I won't hurt you...."  That cow turned around and looked at me and came closer standing there eye to eye with me.  I think these precious creatures know in their hearts that this is a sanctuary for them.  It's been said that the cows kneel on Christmas eve at midnight for Baby Jesus.  If you see the precious old movie, 'Tenth Avenue Angel' with Margaret O'Brien you will see what I'm speaking of.

This contains an image of: 

This contains an image of: 

This contains an image of: 

 

 

 

Our Two Eldest Grandsons Having Fun...

Mimi's house....so fun.   Mimi buy us Captain America outfits! ; )  Mimi found these on clearance.  Perfect.  What a fun play day. 

This contains an image of:  

 

 

And here's our youngest little grandson saying:  Ya'll have a Merry Christmas!   This sweet little angel's eating one of those little apples I was writing about.  We have Mimi (hibiscus-peach) tea, Mimi apples, Mimi little cherub oranges and even Mimi frozen banana slices.   

This contains an image of: 

 

For frozen banana slices:   Just get a peeled banana or two or three and slice width ways in circles, not too terribly thick.   Place the circles on wax paper on a plate in freezer and when frozen place them in a large zip lock to reach into.  It's a very nice snack for the older littles.

 

 

 

 


 

I found this playlist and thought you all might enjoy this too, it shows some touching Christmas shots of our WWII soldiers at Christmas along with the original radio clips: 

.

 



Tradition gives us a sense of solidarity and roots, a knowing there are some things one can count on.   

~Gloria Gaither

 

The following is what I listen to in my kitchen, enjoy and be touched as I am every time I hear this...The entire playlist is on the site there.  I think of my life as a little girl as I listen to the music here:


.

 .


 

 

 

How could I forget about this darling Christmas book by Roy Rogers?:

This contains an image of: {{ pinTitle }}   ...Simply adorable yet so poignant and so very truthful.  From 1960.   I highly recommend.

You may enjoy this past post from 2019 on the book above and the movie, Meet John Doe, Remember...Don't be a Heelot!:

*My Post Here*

 

 

Take care all, let's be alert to those around us who need a cheering up.  Maybe we need cheering up and can receive through giving?  I'll be the first to admit this season can sure stir up thoughts of missing our loved ones...



Made ourselves a nice pot of nutritious and wonderfully Italian soup this evening.   It has broccoli, lima beans, lentils and spinach with onions and garlic simmered in olive oil, lots of basil and a tomato base broth.  I made brown rice to put in the soup on the side.  Tomorrow I will make baked potatoes as a side to the soup. 
 
Take care , enjoy that good ol' fashioned Christmas music.  Let's pray one for another.   Let me know what you all are up to as we celebrate this sweet holy season.  How can we pray one for another?  
 
Fact:  In What World Is Donald Trump Anything Like George Bailey? | The Mary Sue Do you know that when Jimmy Stewart as George Bailey cried at the bar in "It's a Wonderful Life" that he was actually crying unplanned, he had suddenly thought of humanity and how lost humanity was...He had returned from WWII.

18 comments:

Sandi said...

A lovely peaceful Christmas post. Thank you!

I did not know about him crying for real...wow, powerful. Even then, in what we can imagine were simpler times, mankind needed a savior. The Savior.

Amelia said...

Thank you Sandi!

Yes, isn't that something? I actually used to have some Christian tracts that had the story in them of Jimmy Stewart's words and the touching true story of how he felt. Frank Capra had to use a special technique to get that close up since the scene was not planned. Frank Capra wanted to capture the emotion and feeling of that moment.

Yes, we've always needed The Savior. I'll have to share some of the handwritten words from one of the old cards I have ordered that shows even then...

I appreciate you Sandi! Thanks for the comment!

Anonymous said...

God bless you and thank you for the movie list!🎄❤😊

Mrs. White said...

This is such a cheerful, sweet post. Your tree is lovely. I also love the old Christmas songs by Bing Crosby. Have a wonderful Christmas!

Amelia said...

Anonymous, Thank you for stopping by! I so appreciate that. : )
God bless you too, I hope you enjoy the movie list!

Amelia said...

Hi Mrs. White, Thank you so much for stopping by! : ) Thank you so very much, I appreciate your encouragement very much. Isn't there just something about that Bing Crosby old Christmas album?

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I didn't leave my name, Rose❤🎄

Amelia said...

Hello dear Rose! I had a feeling it might be you because I saw my dear Italian Sister comment my last post. ; ) But then ya never know right? This commenting system can be a little bit of a problem, I've done the same thing posting anonymous too (it's very easy to do) and then having to go back and tell them who it is. I feel like I'm playing peek-a-boo. *big smile*


I hope you are having a wonderful Christmas time day! I just ordered some Tutterosso crushed tomatoes with basil from Sam's. We must never run out! lol

Thank you for letting me know Rose! (Your name is so pretty!)

Cathy said...

What gleanings I received by visiting your blog, so many treats. You move from here to there wonderfully, reminding me of my days. The cows, surely they are behind some type of fence? We have black Angus cows on the pasture beside our house and when I was walking by them one day I did scare them...I talked sweetly and kindly, but they were not convinced...I was a stranger!
I did not know that about Jimmy Stewart in the movie. Thank you for your movie lists. It Happened on Fifth Avenue is one of our favorites along with Its a Wonderful Life. I hope to see if I can find some of the others you recommend.

Linda said...

Hello Amelia, I just loved this post :) we too love things from the past. Your tree is adorable and I love those old vintage cards. I especially loved what you wrote bout Jimmy Stewarts 'real tears' in 'Its a Wonderful Life' - we didn't know that. Merry Christmas and God's richest blessings to you and your family xo ~ Linda

Amelia said...

Hello Cathy! Nice to meet ya! *big smile* So glad you came by and thank you for the encouraging comment, I appreciate it so very much. A Gift today.

The cows? Well, yes they are part of a huge fenced area but not contained either so to speak, they are free to roam on our property when the back gate is open but our property is for the mostpart fenced on the perimeters. It's confusing isn't it? Our dogs and chicks play around the cows, they have gotten used to each other. : ) Our dogs bark and the cows trot a little and ignore them. Hahaha and finally they all just ignore each other.

Yes, we too love 'It Happened on Fifth Avenue', we just watched it the other night, such a precious, precious movie! I get something new out of it every time I watch it. Lots of life lessons there.

Thanks again Cathy for coming by and for taking the time to encourage me today, it means the world. God bless you Cathy and please come back sometimes! : )

Blessings!

Amelia said...

Hi dear Linda, thank you so much! I see you too have gone with a smaller tree? : ) Isn't it nice? I read the reviews before buying my little inexpensive tree and one lady said she looked at hers an thought..."Now why haven't I done this sooner?" The large ones are beautiful but I think the smaller ones can be too.

Yes, isn't that something about Jimmy Stewart? Frank Capra had wanted him to do it again and he told Frank Capra..."I just can't Frank". So Frank Capra used a special technique to bring his face closer in...The story has always intrigued me.

God bless you and your family too Linda! I appreciate you! xo Merry Christmas! : )

Cathy said...

Amelia,
Thank you for your recent comments on my blog. As I was reading some of your past posts I noticed you had mentioned about taking off photos due to some "badness from others", I do not know the details.
I have a question I would like to ask you. Concerns I have had that have kept me from blogging from time to time. But I do not know how to privately contact you. Truthfully, I know little about many things, but I do believe the LORD gives wisdom and discernment to those who ask, and I pray we will be like Issachar and discern the times.
Cathy

Amelia said...

Hi Cathy, : ) If you will push 'View my complete profile' under my description it has to the left a place where you can email me. It was disabled and I didn't realize it...So sorry! I have reinstated it. I hope this works.

I'm a wee bit slow on responding at times. I pretty much leave my laptop in a stationary place so I'm usually not on it into the evening, I try to go to that spot to use the computer through the day.

Hope that helps! Thanks so much for coming by Cathy, I hope I can help!

Sandi said...

Happy New Year, Amelia!

Amelia said...

Hey There Sandi! Happy New Year to you as well! Just saw this comment!

Little Mama Mia said...

Aw, your Elbee ornament!! It looks so cute on the tree! <3 And I love the vintage cards - those are so cool! The tree was so pretty!

And the pics of the property are enchanting - the trees on y'all's property are so beautiful! Such peaceful scenes. I love that.

The grandsons are so adorable! The superhero one cracks me up. Those boys are each such a hoot and a joy!

What awesome, precious pics of you as a little girl with your mom & dad. Those are so neat and cause me to imagine what life was like for you then as a little girl. You sure have some good looking parents and were such a CUTE little girl! <3 <3 <3

Amelia said...

Yes Lea! Mr. 'Blue Eyes' is on the tree! Elbee is such a sweetheart...He deserves an ornament! : )

Hahaha...Yes, the super hero pic is so funny....I think it's the masks, it makes me smile at very least! So cute I think. I think they will always treasure that pic!

Thank you Lea...My mom and dad were very special people back then...Many a day I thought I was the most blessed little girl around. *tears* It's too bad that things started changing...How, why....Just. So. Sad. But these photos represent a very good time.

Thanks for the sweet compliment! I appreciate that very much...Life was different then. Do you see the knotty pine paneling?

xo