Tuesday, December 14, 2021

'My Favorite Christmas Story' (1960) What a Wonderful Christmas Book! by Roy Rogers. Don't be a Heelot!

Our daughter, Joycie went to the resale shop the other day and shared with me over text this magnificent treasure of a book with a few excerpts!  Oh me oh my, this is so precious to my heart.  

 

My Favorite Christmas Story  -  by Roy Rogers, published in 1960

This contains an image of: {{ pinTitle }}.

 

Joycie shares she's reading this in the mornings with her coffee as part of Advent readings and I can sure understand why. 

This contains an image of: {{ pinTitle }}.

This contains an image of: {{ pinTitle }}.

This contains an image of: {{ pinTitle }}.

This contains an image of: {{ pinTitle }}

 This contains an image of: {{ pinTitle }}.

Just a few excerpts and the inscription is just. Precious.

I found myself a used copy and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival!

 

Here's a short clip of the famous scene from Frank Capra's 'Meet John Doe'.  I had written a post on this most wonderful movie recently.

 

Don't  be a Heelot!  

.

 It's crazy isn't it?    What has become of everything?

 

Is Christmas about you, me or what?  

Remember in school when we were little children or beyond, Christmas crafts would be made many years from the  beautiful art on front of Christmas cards. There would be beautiful nativity scenes, deer, puppies and kittens, all kinds of beautiful and adorable pictures that reflected this beautiful and meaningful season. Once in a while a treasured photo would be tucked in one and that would usually go into a photo album or special place where photos were kept.  

 

Now-a-days everything is getting facebooked or facebook-styled to death if you ask me.   Even cards are all about me, all about me, all about me.    Not even a honest hand signed signature let alone a written wish or prayer for a blessed new year to the recipient, no question of how people are even doin' these days.  Now don't get me wrong, I love seeing and am thankful for precious families and I know people are at least thinking of the recipient to use a stamp to send one....Right?  

Right???  Hmmm...Sometimes I have to ask....What is Christmas all about?  Me, you or what?


I tell ya what, we seem to be living in a very ungrateful and ungracious culture and I see an unthankful attitude in all ages of people.  I've never seen anything like it.  You try to be kind to people and many times not even a reply or a thank you.  It's shameful.    

My husband always says..There's not much worse than ungratefulness.


All we can do is live the Life, keep the wonder of it all in that Holy Night.  I love all the sweet cheerful Christmas decorations and even get a kick out of cute wrapping paper but also enjoy the still Holy Night, meditating on that.   Even as a little child I remember feeling the Holy Spirit so strongly in our living room as I gazed upon our manger scene in the dark amidst the sparkling lights of the Christmas tree in our little 30s living room.   

 

 

loading ....

 This contains an image of: {{ pinTitle }}

This contains an image of: {{ pinTitle }} 


Let me know how you are all doing, if this blog is beneficial or encouraging to you, and please know many of you are in my prayers.   

 

I appreciate and am thankful for sweet readers who read here! 


Enjoy those cherished little habits of the home, not perfectionism by any means, perfectionism ruins everything and wears our families down...but just sweet little habits.  : )  Love, love, love.  


Signing off from My Forest Cathedral.   Will be checking in later with Christmas things to enjoy.   ~Amelia

 

The most vivid memories of Christmases past are usually not of gifts given or received, but of the spirit of love, the special warmth of Christmas worship, the cherished little habits of the home, the results of others acting in the spirit of Christ

~Lois Rand


God grant you the light in Christmas, which is faith; the warmth of Christmas, which is love...the all of Christmas, which is Christ.

~Wilda English

6 comments:

Sandi said...

"Let me know how you are all doing, if this blog is beneficial or encouraging to you, and please know many of you are in my prayers."

💙💙 I do love your blog. I've even watched 1 or 2 of the movies you recommended.

We've been pretty isolated these past two years. Hubby is cautious of Covid. We went ice skating a couple weeks ago with my niece and great-nephew. That was nice. 😊

I miss regular life more than I would have thought. I am mostly a homebody these days and don't mind living online or in the TV. But it would be nice to...well, I don't know, but it would be nice.

Merry Christmas!

Amelia said...

Oh Sandi, I'm so glad you are enjoying the old movies I share from time to time. Thank you so much for your encouraging comment.

I too am a homebody, I'm an introvert and creative thinker but you would never know it if you saw me out and about, I get the biggest kick out of talking with people getting where they're at. My dad was like that too. As a kid as an only child I knew how to entertain myself quietly but cherished my visits when I had one with a sweet child or even adult visiting my parents. But too much socializing which isn't much for us in the "i" camp is draining for me as an introvert, I do believe that is what describes an introvert, does socializing energize or drain?

I so get what you are saying here, I sure do. I have to smile a bit here because sometimes I remind myself of my Italian grandpa who was fine just as you describe. It's a hard balance isn't it?

Thanks so much for your sweet and thoughtful comments, I so understand what you are saying and even not what you are saying...I get that. Ice skating sounds delightful, oh what a breath of fresh air under these trying times! Bravissimo!

Merry Christmas to you as well! <3 I hope to be back soon, putting up some movies and stuff. Trying to just get stuff up and go with it. : )

Marianna said...

You will sure enjoy the copy of that book! It is such a sweet and charming book that is refreshing to the soul.

This Christmas being wonky for me (in the midst of a move) is hard but in a sense it is forcing me to stay focused on the reason for the season since so many of the normal bows and sparkles are just not doable this year. This makes it more like the real Christmas where the people who had eyes and ears to receive the real Gift were the simple quiet folks in the countryside with the sheep. Hopefully I will be listening for the Good News this year rather than getting caught in all the trappings.

Love the pics and thoughts! ❤️

Mrs. White said...

Such lovely and inspiring thoughts! Thank you!

Amelia said...

Oh yes Marianna, I have a feeling that this Christmas for you is truly going to be one of fond memories of the heart. There is nothing to compare with God's handiwork at Christmas time out in the country, I can honestly say that from experience. And ya know? I've never missed the synthetic when it comes to Christmas. When you want to go to town you will have to put your hat and gloves on like my mom did and just go for a day...I have a feeling you won't be able to wait to get back home! *big smile*

Praying for you as I know this change can also be very tumultuous naturally. Of course dear one. I so get it, I've been there more than a few times.

It's so true, Grace and I were standing there in front of the advent wreath and one of the little doors was a shepherd, I told her it was the normal people who heard and sensed the Good News, the real Gift! The John Does in this world or rather those with a John Doe heart.

Thank you for taking time to comment, your comment was a labor of love in a way with you preparing for a major move, and is worth a million to my heart. <3 (((hugs)))

Amelia said...

Aww... Mrs. White, what a blessing and encouragement your comment is.

Have a sweet and blessed Christmas! I appreciate you.