Monday, November 18, 2013

Show N Tell! I've Got Some Goodies for You & Your Family!

My youngest daughter and I were talking and she mentioned that it would be nice to find some new fresh music to listen to in our kitchen...perhaps something perky with the Andrew Sisters etc?  That sounded like a most beautimous idea to me don't you know?  So I've been a-lookin'.  ...and a-lookin'

I found this!  Yippee!  This is So. Great.  This is a 5 cd set of WWII radio broadcasts with that loveable Bing Crosby!  The  radio programs include a wonderful variety of actors, singers, stars of that era...Not only does it have pretty music (even Roy Rogers! love that guy)  ...but it has Kraft dairy commercials speaking of ration points etc.

One part of the series really got to me...Bing is talking about not wasting in our kitchens.  He reminds homemakers to save their kitchen fats from the kitchen in a smooth lipped can to turn in to the grocery for a ration points and 4 cents per pound!  It really touched my heart because now a days you see go-go-go and more go as in moms driving thru for sup, even go-go grandmas. It just doesn't seem right does it?  I'm so very thankful for a mom who still cooks for herself and is content with her quiet and peaceful life, that's a huge Praise the Lord!  I don't know about you but I love being in the kitchen preparing for our family's supper, it's the greatest thing ever - the supper table!  : )

... But back to the broadcast, you may wonder why the fat to be turned in?  It was used in making bombs.  Isn't that interesting?  There are also other admonitions and exhortations throughout the broadcasts to be patient with your grocers because the troops are in need of the dairy products and that is why the grocer is out of what you may need on certain days.

This really is the sweetest radio series, it has put such a cheerful old fashioned atmosphere in our home. There are even some gospel songs as well.  There may have been a couple of teensy things we didn't give a nod to, but it's so small in comparison to the 5 cds it's easily overlooked and fast forwarded a few seconds.  We're very particular too.  : )



These magnificent and reminiscent broadcasts start on Oct. 7, 1943.

Another little treasure I recently discovered is this darling, darling movie!

A Christmas Wish (1949 In Color) Amazon Instant Video ~ Jimmy Durante, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LRMJKU/ref=cm_sw_r_pi_dp_CLsIsb01VBMH3

I've embedded the youtube version below but I purchased the colorized version!  I plan on surprising the family with this after Thanksgiving!  Mar and I watched most of it to preview while the others were at a church service yesterday, we were so thrilled with this movie!  There are some beautiful and poignant prayer scenes mixed with humor sweetness as God uses a little squirrel to answer prayers.  I spy some good old fashioned romance too....So. Darling. We didn't finish the movie, we have third to go, but I can tell... This is a delight!!!  A real keeper.



I hope you too will enjoy these treasures.  I think it's so important to keep a sweet spirit in the home and so much of what is out there really does not have that sweet spirit.  If we give our kids the real deal they won't want the cheap.  And you know what else?  When they are old enough to court for marriage? Those who are also attracted to the things that are more pure and sweet will be attracted to your young adults.

In closing...Today at the Forest Cathedral it's a foggy enchanting day, warm outside. I'm fighting a blasted cold...Yesterday I just finished reading a Grace Livingston Hill book,  'The Street of the City'.  Another WWII delight! (written in the 40s) The gospel is woven through as well as historical fiction of spies, a materialistic meddling young woman... and a pure, most sweet little romance with a sweet pretty girl and a handsome soldier.

I would venture to say this book would be appropriate to read to your family.  Darling book.

The Street of the City, No. 47 by Grace Livingston Hill,http://www.amazon.com/dp/0553234293/ref=cm_sw_r_pi_dp_xVJIsb0ZVVSQPNZK



Apart  from my Bible devotions I'm now starting on 'The  Bells of St. Mary's".   so fun!  Also, I will start nibbling away at Ann Voskamp's new Christmas devotion too. Michelle bought it for me wasn't that sweet?!

Tonight for supper I think I'll make some kind of veggie soup, Italian style.  Yes-siree-bobbie!  That's Italian! : )

"What happens when we live God's way?  He brings gifts into our lives...things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity.  We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people."    Galations 5:11 (summarized)

Have a sweet week, enjoy your families, K.I.S.S.  Keep it simple sweeties.

Love in Christ,    Amelia


2 comments:

amber said...

that cd looks like a good one. i grew up watching old roy rogers videos - he was a favorite of my dads and so he owned every episode! i liked when he and dale sang,"may the good Lord take a likin to ya.." ;)

i started listening to bing crosby's christmas album tonight on pandora.

there's just no music like old music!

Amelia said...

HELLOOOO AMBER! You are such a gem. So good to hear from you, loved hearing your thoughts and memories! What a Gift you are! : ) I'll be coming over to visit your blog soon! xxoo