Thursday, July 1, 2021

A Breath of Fresh Air...Nancy Campbell. Thanks be to God. Sharing a Bit of Sewing.

This season of life I'm in, is so very different to me, I've gone from a homeschool mommy with babes and little ones all around and behind my skirt to almost an empty nester now.  It's so strange as I see my youngest in her late twenties flying off to a photo shoot dressed in her signature black outfit, camera in hand.  Wow.  *tears*   Her light hair and eyes are like my Daddy's, she looks much like him and my mother and I see him through her eyes many a day.  Even in myself, when I sit with my coffee in the morning in the easy chair talking to God, I find myself sitting exactly as he did, when I eat, I fling my fork back in my hand by my ear listening to Jem talk or studying my plate...Maybe just looking around but that fork is in that customary place just like my dad's fork always was.  I never knew I did that until a boy from school who had been observing me eating one day called it to my attention.  (funny things we do and don't even know it).


I've missed my daddy lately, he passed away tragically in a very horrible situation this time of year in '17.   Here is a poignant blog entry I wrote a year after he passed away to Heaven where he sees very clearly now:

Everytime I See Your Face...Photograph.

 

 

Encouraging Podcasts, Nancy Campbell:

 My daughters and I enjoy Nancy Campbell, and Joycie just shared some of the latest of her podcasts and must I say I was overjoyed when hearing Mrs. Campbell's latest message.  We just aren't hearing truthful messages much are we?   Most older women are not like Nancy Campbell unfortunately and many times I've privately grimaced at their way of thinking and been grieved at heart noticing that they've bought into the culture.

The churches today are heartbreaking to me, people going against purity and all that is right and holy.  Oh dear Lord, are they reading their Bibles at all???  Are people talking to the Lord at all???  

 

I just listened to the following podcast by Nancy Campbell and was so blessed by it, it brought tears to my eyes.  On one of her podcasts she mentions turning 80.   ...Even though I'm 60 years old, I think that when I grow up I want to be Nancy Campbell if you know what I mean... *big smile*

 

 

Here's the podcast I listened to today, around 14 she really warms up (big smile) the entire thing is wonderful but she gets down to nitty gritty around that time frame, enjoy and be blessed:

Let's Get Back the Glory

 

 

Here's another I listened to a couple of months ago and was also blessed by this one on following a child's bend in homeschooling:

Following Your Bent

 

And here's a COMPLETE list of Nancy Campbell's podcasts, wow, so many of these look and are EXCELLENT: 

  Complete List of Nancy Campbell's Podcasts

 

 

Hope you all are  doing fine and trusting the Lord, taking refuge in Him.  Oh how He loves you, oh how He loves me, oh how He loves me and you!   Remember that song?

My Forest Cathedral: Show 'n Tell, Heartfelt Contemplations ...and a Most Special Song  Tis me in the good ol' summer time sitting across from my hubs, Jem... Hair pulled  back sun glasses are my friend, wearing one of my favorite lawn cotton blouses I make.  I love the color, navy


I love to sew, compose and design my own clothing, I've  designed clothing, drawing fashion illustrations since junior high, I loved vintage and the old Laura Ashley designs before anyone heard of vintage or Laura Ashley.  When many were wearing mini skirts, I longed for 40s-50s midi skirts!  When I sew I can choose cool natural fabrics, tweak patterns and just sew my own styles that I've identified as being flattering, stylish and modest.   We do not have to be slaves to the culture!  It's so refreshing to be my own person in the Lord.  If you do not know how to sew, it would  be wonderful to find a friend to teach you even simple sewing.  The following outfit is simple.  No darts and an elastic waist skirt.  Bravissimo I say on that.   We don't have to stress to sew, we can sew simple.



   Navy lawn cotton from Fashion Fabrics Club, top, a tweaked Simplicity pattern #1690    I made a slight v-neck altering the width of the neckline simply, lengthened to tunic length and made the sleeves a bit more kimono, so it's more flattering.   The belt is my own pattern.

The skirt is my tried and true (out of print) Simplicity #4881 (available on ebay) lengthened to above ankle, not midi but not maxi.... made from a flowie, light rayon challis in navy and white stripe from Fashion Fabrics Club.   


I hope all is well where you are.   The fragrance wafting from the kitchen is Italian gravy on Tofurky Italian veggie sausage in the oven, oh it's so good, will be served over pasta.  The Gardein brand veggie meatballs are plumb wonderful too.  I have white patty squash from the garden cut and I'll roast slices in avocado oil in the oven, and Ancient Harvest gluten free pasta will be served.   Can you say, served  in a snobbish way like a butler?   Ha! 


Hope you're having a sweet summer fellowshipping with the Lord.  Gleaning from some of our brothers and sisters in the faith.   Above all?   Spending time with the Lord.


Don't let controversy hurt your soul.  Live near to God by prayer.  Just fall down at His feet and open your very soul before Him, and throw yourself right into His arms.   ~Catherine Booth

 

He is not far from each one of us.  "For in him we live and move and have our being."   ~Acts 17:27


In waiting we begin to get in touch with the rhythms of life--- stillness and action, listening and decision.  They are the rhythms of God.  It is in the everyday and the commonplace that we learn patience, acceptance, and contentment.  ~Richard J. Foster

 

 

 

Concerning email feed here:   I received notice that feedburner may be discontinued for our email subscriptions, and may be discontinued already, so if you would like, please oblige and follow me on bloglovin' or the old fashioned blogger way, both on right.  Bloglovin' is a dashboard for favorite blogs, it's free and quite handy and they will email a daily digest to you as well.  I've used it for more than several years and it seems just fine.  Thanks for understanding!

16 comments:

Mrs. White said...

I love your outfit! Thank you for sharing the photograph and details of how you make it. I will have to see if I can find the patterns you mentioned. I have a difficult time finding fabric in my rural area, but appreciate your fabric suggestions!

Your dinner sounds delightful!

God bless!


Patti said...

Hi sweet friend! Long time no touch base! I was away for most of June (visiting my parents). I am now settling back in. I did start a new blog, back in January, when I found out I am going to become a grandmother this year. If you'd like to visit, you can get there through my Blogger profile. It's called Leaving a Legacy.

I'm assuming that is a picture of your parents on their wedding day. Wow! What a stunningly beautiful woman your mom was! Your dad was mighty handsome too. Together, they made a gorgeous couple---I can see where you got your beauty!!

Yes, having photographs of people we love is such a blessing. I am so thankful for that! Think of generations not too far removed from us. They didn't have the luxury of being able to afford photos, so no photos of them were ever captured. I think of one of my 2nd-great-grandfathers, who emigrated from England after his wife had passed. He emigrated with 4 daughters, but he left 6 children and many grandchildren behind. He had no pictures of any of them, so, truly, all he had was memory to remember them.

Oh, Nancy Campbell----Above Rubies was such a favorite magazine of mine for well over a decade. I ended up needing to stop reading, as all the stories of women whose fertility issues were cleared up (when mine wasn't) really discouraged me. Now, though, that I am no longer in a childbearing season, I could read/listen to her again. I will visit her podcast.

Not sure if I told you or not, but my husband had a heart attack in April. Were it not for the quick thinking of his boss, who gave him an aspirin, I would be a widow now.

I do not know how to sew. One of my grandmothers sewed all my clothes when I was growing up, but I wasn't interested in learning to sew myself back then. As an adult, my mother-in-law sewed most of my clothes. Sadly, she has passed away, and I am now, once again, without a seamstress in my life. And I don't have a sewing machine!

Well, take care, my friend.

Love,
Patti

Sherry said...

it's been months since i've commented on your posts. my apologies.. life seems to take on distractions from time to time: some good and some not so.

i sew. we had two guest rooms until a month or so ago.. we gave the beds away and transformed it for a space just for me: for writing, reading, sewing. i have a few lengths of fabric just waiting for me to design a simple ankle length shift with thin straps. a sweater or blouse is always worn over to maintain modesty while remaining cool enough.

church. golly yes - we need to be students of the Word to ensure what is taught from the pulpit is in line with the Word of God!!! there are MANY churches who have certainly gone the way of society.. one of our nieces is deeply imbedded in one and it's like pearls before swine sharing with her, w/o her screaming that we're judging. so we pray.

thank you for sharing your heart.

Amelia said...

Hello Mrs. White! Thank you! I'm in a very rural area as well, I so know how you feel! I do find an occasional cotton at Walmart in a very cute print that I can sew one of my #4881 skirt wonders out of! I usually can squeeze an obi belt out of the fabric too if I'm careful with two yards, but three yards is even more fun! *big smile* When I buy the lawn cotton or rayon, both very breathable, I usually find those on ebay or fashion fabrics club very reasonably so that works out nicely for me. I hope you too can find some nice fabric that works for you. I would love to see your creations! : )

I wish you could join us for dinner!

I appreciate you, your blog and books so much! Love, ~Amelia

Amelia said...

Hi Patti! Oh my goodness, so much has happened in your life since I last heard from you. Oh dear me! Your husband had a heart attack! Thank God your husband's boss was a quick thinker! I lost my stepdaddy from a sudden heart attack and it about did me in, I still miss him. Have you ever heard of Dr. Joel Fuhrman? He has some wonderful recipes for life.

Thank you so much for your compliment! The photo of my parents was made when they had been married for around a year. I've always loved this portrait, it hung in our living room for years and years. : ) The story you share here on the man with no photos of some of his children breaks my heart...Oh! So tragic!

I wish you lived close by, I would teach you how to sew at least in a simple way, maybe you have a little class in your area? I'm not the greatest sewist but I just try to do my tried and true patterns most of the time, sometimes venturing out but I've also found the fabric to be key also, not necessarily a complicated pattern. My machine is the most basic Brothers machine that Walmart offers and it does the job wonderfully.

Why no, I had no idea you had started a blog, I'll look into that! You may enjoy Nancy Campbell again, she just turned 80 I hear from listening to another podcast, I can understand why you had to stop reading the articles a while back. I receive her magazine too. You are getting ready to receive that blessed little bonus baby soon though from the sounds of things! *huge smile and a hug*

Let's stay in touch! Love, ~Amelia

Amelia said...

Hello dear Sherry! Oh how great it is to hear from you! I know you and your husband were traveling so I understand you've been so very busy.

Your new little dress sounds wonderful for the warm months! I have a few prints waiting for me too! *chuckle* It's quite addictive isn't it? So great you have a special room, we too have managed to make our former homeschool room into a studio similar to yours. I just love being able to retreat into my studio in my beloved creative mess of a room and sew or paint or draw or write and I don't even have to clean it for company! Yippee!

Isn't it amazing what has happened to churches, the ones that are supposed to be so right-on? Oh. My. Goodness. My daughters shared with me a heartbreaking podcast a few weeks ago of a former homeschooled man who authored a very popular book who has totally gone out in left field and twists up scripture and everything else. The doctor who was on with him, at one time she was on Christian programming was saying that when you are in love, you're in love and anything goes pretty much. I was floored. Just as the Bible says, they are calling good; evil, and evil; good. You are so correct, prayer will be our victor's wreath. It's the best and most powerful things to do in these cases and also in the state of our world. Of course we can use words when necessary but the Holy Spirit definitely leads and guides as you know.

Your comment was such a Gift to me today, great to hear from you Sherry! ~Amelia

Linda said...

Hi dear friend, a lovely post and I too admire Nancy Campbell. Your dinner does sound delicious :) I'm just going to read what you posted about your Dad. My Father passed away just this week and I wrote about him on my blog. It's a very hard thing to lose a parent, as I am learning. Many blessings to you sweet friend ~ Linda x

Amelia said...

Oh Linda....I'm so, so sorry sweet friend. I understand totally how you must feel. I've lost two daddies in my life, my real dad and my step dad who was like a real dad to me. The pain is almost more than we can handle but God carries us through and please know I do care very much and understand the pain. I'll pray for you dear one. I see your dad was such a special person, inside and out...Just beautiful. The upcoming days will be tumultuous I'm very sure, grief is a zig-zag line that goes up and down but ascends through time...

Much love and huge prayers to you sweet girl as you grieve this huge loss. ~Amelia

Marianna said...

I want to he like Nancy Cambell too lol! She’s got such a kind spirit but she does speak the truth boldly. I’ve just tapped into her podcasts and I know I’ll enjoy them.

Gpa is missed. Very sad regarding the circumstances of his passing. I pray the Lord is comforting you during this season of memory.

Your dinner does sound yummy! We have enjoyed the Patty squash you shared with us.

You are so good at making your own clothes! I do not enjoy it like you do, but I wish I did enjoy sewing to that degree. It would be fun to tailor my own clothes more.

Amelia said...

Yes, Nancy Campbell is such a special person, just adore her from the podcasts I've heard. She is a great balance of love and wisdom. : ) I heard from a recent podcast that she just turned 80!

Grandpa is missed, it's hard that that all happened, and trust me, when I was little I never would have thought that that kind of thing could have happened. Life is hard sometimes, very hard, but God also gives amazing blessings too, showing His love and I try to count those, and stay tethered to the Father. My strength is from the Lord and it's so nice that I can talk to Him about it all.

So glad you liked the patty squash, it's our favorite squash, it's like a flat flying saucer shaped cucuzza! lol

So glad you like my clothes that I make, I bet if you found some tried and true patterns you would enjoy it too, but you are the mommy of a two year old so I know it's not that easy. *big smile* I need to show you some tailoring tricks that I've taught myself through trial and error, it's amazing what you can do to clothing to make it your own.

Thanks Marianna for stopping by, I know you are a busy gal!

Little Mama Mia said...

I'm so sorry you're missing Grandpa more during this season... I know it's harder since it was around the time of year that he passed away. I'll be praying for special grace and comfort during this time (((HUGS)))

You are very much like Gpa and I know that he was very proud of you. Isn't it interesting how we inherit traits passed down. I've been told by different people that certain gestures or the way I say something reminds them of you or Dad. :)

Thank you for the reminder of God's love. God seems to be speaking to me about that tonight so that was very special. The verse from Acts is also really meaningful

I will have to check out more of Nancy Campbell's podcasts... I think I've only listened a little bit so far.

Such a great outfit you made.. I love navy too and the stripes!

Love you!

Amelia said...

Thank you Lea, such a sweet comment. Thank you for prayers, they are always coveted, always. It's always interesting this time of year for me. This morning after my quiet time with the Lord as I listened to Michael Berry, I hear the opening of the song, "Everytime I See Your Face" by Ringo Starr, I about fell out of my chair...I got up quickly to go to the kitchen radio Dad had left on and it was it! It was the song! I stood there and thanked God and smiled at my Daddy... *tears*

So glad the words and scriptures ministered to you in a special way.

I'm really enjoying the outfits like the one posted, they are my go-to outfits. Navy...Oh Navy and stripes. Love that winning combination! Thank you!

Love you more!

Little Mama Mia said...

Wow... that is so cool how the song was playing!

<3 <3 <3

Amelia said...

Yes! Talk about a God-wink! And I know there is a heavenly cloud of witnesses as well. : ) Dad heard the song in the master bath as he was preparing for the day and noticed right away what was up! <3 Thanks for your thoughtful reply Lea. <3

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Amelia said...

Thank you Rajani, I'll have to stop by and read sometimes. Thank you for coming by my blog!