Saturday, October 3, 2020

More Wonderful Fall Music and an Adorable Fall Cartoon (1934) to Enjoy!

 Oh what a plumb luverly day here in the forest...yes indeedie.


Jem and I were in the car and this song came on Jem's playlist...I just adored this new voice I heard...I hope you do too.  It's the voice of Tommy Edwards, I had never heard of him and am so glad we discovered him.

Enjoy!  It's All in the Game - Tommy Edwards


Now you must admit, that was pretty!


Glenn Miller is a hit with me all the time and there is something about this music that so fits this season of fall....

The Best of Glenn Miller


One of my all time favorite albums and singers...Nat King Cole..Oh but this one...

Nat King Cole - Love is the Thing and More

Once when I was going through some questions on my health out in the burbs, a scary time,  I would listen to this as I took the long drive to the old town our girls piano lessons were in...This music ministered to my heart like no other.

God sure knew what He was doing...He understands His children very well.


In our family we all know it's officially autumn when this wonderful classic cartoon is played, we LOVE this little cartoon!   Is this not the most adorable thing you've ever seen in the way of cartoons?  


Classic Cartoon, Jack Frost  (1934)



Around Here: 

I've been sewing quite a bit lately and cleaning out plus planting vegetable plants in my garden, the squash plants are amazing.  Did you know Blue Hubbard squash has a shelf life of 6 months after picking?   Jem painted my laundry room a very light creamy yellow color and made some tall wooden shelves painted white.  It's soooo vintage!  I love it!

Yesterday we enjoyed an outing to a wonderful Italian restuarant and then to Dollar Tree.  Ladies, do you feel like a little kid with Dollar Tree?  Oh my goodness, happy sigh.  Happy sigh.  lol  I picked up a few canisters of the plastic retro looking Christmas bulbs, these are a dark red with a little white Christmas tree painted on.  I'm doing a simple 4 foot tree on a vintage coffee table  this year.  This will be new.  I usually do the traditional tall tree with a full 40s look including icicles.  The problem I'm having is the last two years I had to take it all down myself...I started resenting that so this year I'm trying something new.  I'm doing smaller trees here and there, just lights except the one on the coffee table and that will be very simple.  I mainly just want the twinkle clear lights for effect in our home.  Any special glass ornaments perhaps will be placed in a large glass bowl or more around the house.  We'll see how that works.  I got the idea from the Homeliving blog with Mrs. Sherman.  So...The vintage looking plastic ornaments will fit the bill this year especially since I'm a MiMi ..https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9d/77/0e/9d770e6999f21c302a235999ac73d70b.jpg   ...of two little toddler boys!  *big smile*   So yesterday's outing was that great Italian restaurant, Dollar Tree and Walmart..Both stores had wonderful Christmas selections!   I had a ball talking with several women at Walmart, so fun.  I'm like my dad, put me in a store and I'm a happy camper, I enjoy talking in little spurts to people, finding something to help them with, lifting them up with a compliment, just making someone's day!  That is true fulfillment in a normal everyday way...We don't need to be like zombies walking around.

 

Coffee, one of our precious rescue dogs, one of our daughters rescued this precious dog.  Just look at this smile!   Hoomans could learn from our dog, Coffee!   She's not bothering anyone or anything, just living life and tootling along.  She has arthritis but that doesn't keep her from smiling and being a blessing to others!

 

Spread love everywhere you go:  first of all in your own home.  Give love to your children, to a wife or husband, to a next-door neighbor.   

  ~Mother Teresa

 


Tonight for supper?  

It will be easy breezy.  Jem and I usually do pizza night on Saturdays. He picks out his favorite pizza at the store and I pick my favorite vegan pizza too, usually Daiya or Sonoma  brand.   We are both happy campers.  I will usually make a huge green salad or a cooked green veggie to go with the pizzas.  We enjoy watching an old black and white 40s movie after dinner to just relax...Usually we have our ongoing commentary as the movie plays.  It's nice.


This morning as I reflect on the change of seasons, I think of the different people who have come and gone in my life:  taking root like new spring plants, blooming like summer flowers , ripening like harvest fruit and resting like snow-covered trees.  Just as the circle of seasons is vital to renewed life, I accept, and give thanks for, the seasons of my own life.   


 

The quote above reminds me of our daughters' piano teacher, I loved her dearly and she was a friend and confidant of mine.  She was from that WWII generation as a little girl.  Oh how I miss her!  I'll see her on the other side of Heaven, she was no doubt a wonderful and sincere Christian woman.  When she was young she looked like Greer Garson...She was left a widow at a young age.  What a precious woman she was.

 

loading ... 

Photo by Robert Stock 

I'm reading a neat book:   The Other Side Of Infamy:  My Journey through Pearl Harbor and the World of War by Jim Downing 

Our oldest daughter was able to meet Jim Downing at the anniversary of Pearl Harbor several years ago, she was there to assist with the wonderful vets. It was the chance of a lifetime!  He lived to be over one hundred and passed away not that long ago.  My daughter tells me she could tell he was a Christian by listening to him and his complete demeanor.  Glimpses of the Pearl harbor Anniversary:  HERE and HERE.




This is my Grandma Amelia with my daddy when he was a darling little boy.  I never had the chance to meet my Grandma Amelia, she passed away when my dad was ten years old.  Very tragic.  Everyone I've ever talked to that knew her including my Italian grandma says that she was such a sweet, sweet person.  My mom and dad went to elementary school together so the two mothers would talk at school programs and such.  I look forward to seeing and talking with my Grandma Amelia one day on the other side of Heaven. She was of German descent and my other grandma was Italian.  I have my Grandma Amelia's Moody Bible study book, it's underlined and it's so interesting ...She emphasized paragraphs just like I do, in a side parenthesis, I'm trying to sew a dress right now similar to the one she is wearing in this photo.  It will have that same look to it...It's been kind of fun. A bit trying but kind of fun because I'm not taking it too seriously.  Perfectionism is not part of the game, no, no.  The dress is being made out of a dusty-blue seersucker mini check.

   

..

The photos above were probably taken right around the time of the cartoon above!

 

 

 

God wears Himself out through the infinite thickness  of time and space in order to reach the soul and to captivate it.... The soul, starting from the opposite end, makes the same journey that God made towards it.  And that is the cross.  

~Simone Weil

 



Have a sweet rest of the day!     

I am convinced beyond a shadow of any doubt that the most valuable pursuit we can embark upon is to know God.

~Kay Arthur




   Coffee says Bye bye! 

12 comments:

Sandi said...

"Spread love everywhere you go: first of all in your own home."

I love this!

There is so much to comment on here. I think I will just sum it up with, "What a wonderful post!"

Amelia said...

Thank you Sandi! So glad you enjoyed the post! (((hugs)))

Barbara said...

Running a test here. I'll email you.

Amelia said...

Thanks Barbara! (((hugs!)))

Barbara said...

Lovely post. I couldn't really get to it until today. I look forward to listening to the music selections while I'm cross stitching. I do like your taste in music.

Your quotes are good, too, especially the last one by Kay Arthur. I believe the more we learn about God now, the more we will enjoy Him in the afterlife.

Blessings and hugs!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

So much on this long post, Amelia. And wonderful music too. You would have been a great help on my radio programs. The music you chose is what I used to play. Nat King Cole, Glen Miller etc ...

Did you know our own Sir Cliff Richard had a success in 1963 with "All in the game"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BoTQKxrHs4

God bless.

Michelle said...

Beautiful post filled with good reminders! Love Nat King Cole as well! Such sweet music. We have some of his original records which we were just listening to during dinner last night. Such a peaceful atmosphere it brings.

Love that sweet cartoon too! Remember watching that growing up!

Looks like wonderful times have been had! Ya can't beat DT! 😄

Amelia said...

Thanks so much! Ya just can't beat that old 40s music...Greatness. It does bring peace, just the sweetness of it. That cartoon is soooo neat. Just love it. There is such a wonderful style that the artists used back then...So much more artful in everything they did.

DT. Oh yes...Picture a woman with he hands over her mouth sighing with joy as she looks upon the DT sign! lol It's so true...You cannot beat it. The ornaments are such a bargain and they are just as cute too. You can get that entire cannister of the round plastics that look very nice for only a $. Perfect for me this year...

Amelia said...

Thank you Barbara! So glad you like the music, I know I do, it is so pretty I think...I've always loved this timeless music.

Yes, the most important thing we can do is spend time with God and truly know Him in a personal way. : )

Amelia said...

I bet your radio program was great Victor!

I will definitely have to look that youtube up! I adore that song...So much truth in that song!

Blessings!

Christine said...

Amelia, (love your name),
When I read your posts, it's like having a friend in the room and we are talking. I'm usually replying or adding to the "conversation".

I wanted to tell you, if we were to meet in a store, we'd have a long conversation. I love talking to strangers in the store. Especially, now when there are so many "zombies" walking around, with their faces covered. I feel like everyone is so fearful but if you open up to them, they are surprised and relieved to have someone friendly to talk to.

Well, I could go on and on but won't!

Peace, my friend, Chris

Amelia said...

Aw Christine! Oh sweet friend, love your comment, and I feel the same way. : )

Many, many people have let fear take over and are listening to the wrong voices, it's very sad to us and even frightening that more people are not using good ol' fashioned common sense and doing their homework on things.

It's time to speak out as we feel the prompting of the Holy Spirit, we don't have to be mean spirited but I know for me, there have been times that I was alerted to things by a gentle blog speaking out tastefully and my opinion was truly changed on or was even educated on a subject. Thank God that we were at a Wal and I would say at least a third were exercising their right to not mask, oh what a beautiful thing! I say to them..."It's so good to see your face!" : D They respond in kind too! Sooooo great!

Hey, I'll see you on the Christmas Aisle! Did you see those cute-cute snowmen?!!!

Peace to you too dear one. (a hug)