Thursday, December 7, 2023

Pearl Harbor, Day of Infamy. Dec. 7, 1941 The Greatest Generation

 

 Pearl Harbor, Today is a sobering day of remembrance.  The following are links to 2016 when our oldest daughter was so blessed to volunteer with our WWII Greatest Generation vets AT Pearl Harbor.  These beautiful men were THERE at Pearl Harbor.  I'll keep it short, but I cannot let this day go by without honoring our vets and keep a dialogue of that sobering day.  We have talked to these most beautiful people at the grocery store and other places, we honor them when we see them.  

One of the vets, Uncle Bob (in the links below) who Janie got to know pretty well, we would call him on his birthday, he said he could see the kamikaze's face swooping down at him as he manned his gun on deck.

The below links will have other links and one is talking to a vet at the grocery store, he broke down in tears that day.  It makes me cry to this day to think of that day talking with him and his wife.

 

The Greatest Generation 

 

More of the Greatest Generation 

 

Our daughter got to know these men who are on this video:

Pearl Harbor Video

.

 

There are quite a few movies too,   'The Fighting Sullivans' is one of them.  An entire family of brothers there fighting and every one of those young men were lost.  A full exhibit of the Fighting Sullivans and the telegraph of their mother, pictures a reenactment of her calling the President is at The Pacific War museum in Fredericksburg, Texas.   I highly recommend that museum.

Other movies are Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, Destination Tokyo and Best Years of Our Lives.


 

I'm worn out today after taking my mom to Dollar Tree yesterday, oh how happy it made her and I totally get that.  She's almost 94 now...Everyday is a journal page, what will we compose?   

 

Signing off, remembering Pearl Harbor and those mighty and brave men who fought for us.  God bless them.   May we lift our great country up in prayer.

 

God be with us all,    ~Amelia 


 

10 comments:

EM Griffith said...

Thank you, Amelia, for commemorating the day, honoring the soldiers there, and thanks to your daughter for that awesome opportunity! More later; a pot of chili is on the stove. --Elise

Anonymous said...

Thank you Amelia for honoring the Greatest Generation. My Dad enlisted in the Navy after Pearl Harbor and served in the South Pacific. I have old recordings of him and recordings of my mother, as that was one of the ways they corresponded. Even though both went home to be with the Lord years ago, I still have their voices as well as many pictures from that time.Both my parents were active in veterans organization and I don't remember any holiday in which when we were old enough to go with them to help we are at the USO, serving those dinner who were serving our country. And, yes, I am born on Pearl Harbor Day, although a few years later. Blessings to you and your family, Cookie

Cheryl Kimbley said...

Thank you. A somber day indeed.

LaurieS said...

Thank you Amelia for remembering. My heart.

Amelia said...

Thank you Elise, I appreciate you and I appreciate you taking the time to thoughtfully comment.

God bless you Elise! ~Amelia

Amelia said...

Cookie, What a legacy you have! In the movie, 'Destination Tokyo', it shows Cary Grant, the leader on the submarine trying to play the record from his wife and children. Oh my heart! That movie and the operation on the appendix, done on Jimmy Stewart's fill-in? It really happened on a submarine during the WWII! There was an exhibit at the Pacific War museum in Fredericksburg. You must be so very proud of your parents, they sound like truly wonderful people and you are a chip off the old block. We actually have an old uso building in our area that is left preserved. It has the clock on the wall as you enter, the food bar, a gym and locker room, everything for the servicemen back during the war. They still have a sign on the front door in honor of the lady who made the uso building happen, it reminds everyone to spit out there gum. Oh my, how things have changed.

Happy Birthday Cookie, I'm sure your parents thought that was very special indeed, quite a remembrance their new little life being born that very day.

God bless you Cookie, thank you so very much for sharing! I appreciate you, ~Amelia

Amelia said...

Thank *you* Cheryl, yes, a somber day. May we lift our country up in prayer.

God be with you, Cheryl. I appreciate you. ~Amelia

Amelia said...

Dear LaurieS, Thank you for taking the time to leave your encouraging comment. Yes, my heart too...Oh my heart.

I appreciate you, God bless and be with us all. ~Amelia

Little Mama Mia said...

Aw, I loved seeing the old posts of when I went to Pearl Harbor back in 2016! That brought back such good memories of such an incredibly special time! Thank you so much for posting those, Mom!

And wow... I definitely recognize some of the vets in the video who I had met on the trip. What an honor and a privilege

Amelia said...

Yes, Little Mama Mia...Always keep those memories close to your heart, they are very special and a wonderful honor indeed, truly a privilege.

xo ~Mom