Sunday, August 9, 2020

Glimpses and Thoughts From Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Appropriate Then, Appropriate Now


I wouldn't give you two cents for all your fancy rules if behind them they didn't have a little bit of plain ordinary everyday kindness and a little looking out for the other fella too...that's pretty important all that...   

~Spoken by Mr. Smith played by Jimmy Stewart on the floor of the Senate.









I have such a burning in my heart when I see this movie, perhaps you will too when you view this movie, definitely a favorite in our home.  Frank Capra as a director really had some things right.  He was from the same village of Bisaquino, Sicily where my precious grandfather was from.  The Oddo family was mentioned in one of the Capra biographies.


In the movie we see the same twisted attitudes and hearts that are just as present today in many places and institutions as yesterday.


Another place, another time but very much the same today in many places where it ought not be as I'm sure you will agree.


You will see Mr. Smith reading out of the Bible as he fillibusters...


I hope you and your family will also enjoy and be inspired by this movie classic great.  May we all be Mr. Smiths.   


One of my old pastors once said,  If people won't stand for you they might as well be on the other side...  I agreed then and I agree now.  


My father was a city councilman and one of my most precious memories was the way my father stood for what was right and good,  fearlessly.   


8 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Not seen this film. Will check it out.

God bless.

Amelia said...

Hi Victor, Oh yes, please check it out, I think you will enjoy it! It's one of those Frank Capra greats!

Blessings!

Michelle said...

I haven't seen this one in a long while! I need to add it to our list to watch soon. We rarely watch movies anymore...we spend most of our evenings outside these days! But this would definitely be worth staying indoors for. :)

Amelia said...

Yes, it's a wonderful movie and so relevant for today! Another Capra great! So many meaningful things in this movie...I remember Grandpa standing up to some certain egg-headed NASA engineers...It was wowee-spectacular! I was so proud of my dad back then...Just so proud.

Jimmy Stewart, Jean Arthur, Beula Bondi directed by Frank Capra. Can't get much better!

Marianna said...

Love this movie! It has so many great messages. James does, too, but oddly enough we have never watched it together yet. Maybe one day soon -- it sure is a good one!

Amelia said...

I hope and James can watch it soon, I know so much will ring bells of truth!

It's a timeless classic, a good'n for sure! : )

Little Mama Mia said...

Been such a long time since I've seen this movie but it sure is inspiring! I may borrow it from you, Mom!

Amelia said...

It's a wonderful, wonderful movie. A Capra great for sure and the quotes...Oh the quotes from the movie are so poignant and so truthful.

Timeless.