The Musings of Marianna blog, my daughter, Marianna! (Mar Mar) has bequeathed me with an award. The Liebster Award. How very nice indeed. I am quite quite honored. No one seems to know exactly what the award means, or why it is awarded, but we are all deeply honored to receive it, nonetheless.
This is, however, an award with responsibilities, ones which I do not take lightly. They go something like this:
-List 7 or 11 random things about yourself
-Answer the 7 or 11 random questions asked by the awarder (yes, I do like to make up words).
-Pass the award on to 7 or 11 people who have under 200 followers, and
- make up your own 7 or 11 random questions for them to answer.
Okie Dokie, here goes folks.
1. I have discovered lately that I just love smiling, when I wake up and go outside to pray, I smile whether I feel like it or not. I look up to the Lord and smile big. It makes my feelings line up with the smile I have found. I smile and thank the Lord for being fearlessly and wonderfully made. So dear family, if you see me smile for no good reason, now you know why.
2. I love old fashioned everything, I love the 1940s, in fact I adore the 1940s...I've felt this way since I was old enough to perceive different times and moods...probably back in elementary school. I never liked mini skirts or any of that. I love old 40s black and white movies and have quite a collection. Most 40s movies are safe and sound to watch for our family.
3. Atmosphere is very important to me. I like to dress even daily as part of the atmosphere, to be pleasant to the eye even for myself when I look in the mirror... for me, that means make-up, my hair done in a simple romantic style, usually messy but romantic. I'll tie a pony tail in a simple ribbon. Long cotton skirts usually, although I do capris sometimes in summer and sweats too in the winter. : )
Memo: Today I look like Marmee gone bad. I'm wearing white socklets (Vicks on the bottoms of my feet) with green flip flops and a long skirt jumper, my hair? (never mind!) If the elegant Marmee would see me today, she would pity me I'm sure would probably offer to bring me warm pop-overs.
*eh hem*...back to my answer...I even like to put a necklace on to complete my atmosphere.... Music is a big thing to me as well...I've enjoyed Michael Card once again lately, his music is full of class and is undoubtedly Christian and it ministers greatly. I like Pride and Prejudice (the soundtrack), I love 40s music very much. I love the theme to 'To Kill a Mockingbird'.
4. I really, really desire simplicity in my life but have a little (a lot) of trouble with it. My parents and grandparents were Depression era and I'm married to a Real Estate broker, we own our own business. That means we never know when a paycheck will come if ever no matter how much work is done. So...I tend to hold on to things. I'm learning though on certain things and doing better. It still bothers me to be wasteful though so that is one area of clutter, that will have to just be.
5. I love skirts, skirts that are ankle length...I love to belt tops over them. That is my favorite thing to wear to the grocery store, a skirt and top with mary janes, a cotton cardigan draped over my shoulders, tied in front. I feel good like that, and ya know? I think it inspires others to share in their femininity too, as they see I have fun celebrating my femininity. I love making skirts out of cute cotton prints, lately I'm working on black velvet and finished a black taffeta too. My fave pattern is Simplicity #4881.
6. The little girl, Scout in the movie, 'To Kill a Mockingbird' playing with her crayons humming at the beginning of the movie portrays my quiet little life as a little girl in a very similar old, old neighborhood. I am an only child brought up very practically, so the little world of drawing and water coloring, playing with my dolls and dog was my little world. And of course playing nurse, caring for the sick. All of these things have significance in my life now down to the Southern voice in the movie. (mine) I can make a vowel howl. ; )
7. I like to see how far I can make a dollar stretch. I've learned so much in frugality since being married to "George Bailey". I cut my own hair, re-purpose clothing and buy my simple shoes from ebay and Walmart but even then have put a freeze on things, the best way to declutter. Have you ever heard of flylady's rubber chicken? I do rubber beans. Yes, I need to put that one up. I'm a vegetarian and ethical vegan too.
8. I'm a prolife advocate and our family votes prolife. It bothers me when church goers will go with dumb economic promises. How in the world can they trust someone who is okay with killing an unborn baby? How is that working for their conscience? Oh if wombs had windows!
9. I don't quite fit in with any particular group. I fit in with my Father, and He created me to be individual and He loves me like I am. At the age of 51 I've discovered, I'm very happy just being me. I've always admired those who are happy being themselves.
10. I like to keep things in a very sweet spirit in my home. I do not like most commercials entering in, I do not like most modern shows or movies entering in. It blows my mind what people who call themselves Christians and some who are even in the ministry will watch and think it's funny etc. What a disgrace.
11. I'm a creative messy, a merciful slob at times. I like clean, but I become cluttered, dust bunnies like it here. My mom 82 is a cleanie but she tries to help me a little and doesn't criticize (hardly ever) ; ) she knows I'm like my daddy. ; ) I do flylady to help me. So...if you ever want to come over please give me three hours notice! Ha! (Its the truth!)
12. I'm going to throw one more in for the road. I feel guilty sometimes when I blog. I feel like my rear is turning into lead! *chuckle* Anyone else feel like that?
Okay, now Marianna asks these questions:
1) What aspect of life do you view as hardest? Oh dear me, things that make me nervous. I was called for jury duty, I was so jittery, I accidently dropped both my hardcover book and jury summons in the commode at the courthouse I was so nervous. Anyone even mentioning me going to the doctor just freaks me out. I used to think the doctor's was a social time for me, then I had bad experiences. Real bad. Also controlling people just make me want to run to the hills, although I will definitely go toe to toe with them when necessary. I respect myself more than they when it comes down to it. Sometimes it just has to be done. : )
2) What instrument would you like most to play? I would play the piano like our sweet piano teacher and confidant' friend; Mrs. Blount, she was so beautiful the way she played...God was there.
3) What retro sitcom character do you most identify with? (i.e. Lucy? Ethel? Laura Petry? Rob Petry? Mr. Muenster? etc.? :) Oh goodness, maybe a Laura Petry.
4) There was a dish in China called "The Most Delicious Dish", which turned the conversation to what each cook considered their "most delicious dish"... what dish are you famous for among your family and friends? That would be my Italian Grandma's stuffed artichokes.
5) Do you like to solve problems at night or in the morning?
Probably in the morning when I'm praying.
6) What is your favorite way to start your mornings? In prayer definitely, then reading my Bible and devotions.
7) If you could visit any country, which would it be? I guess that would have to be Italy but I'm quite content here in my own backyard, the country because I think it's lovely right here. Yes Indeedie.
Now I shall pass this sweet little award on to seven other sweet bloggers, now keep in mind, I normally don't pass on these awards but I feel more at home on my little Forest Cathedral blog here so I'll give it a whirl!
On the Little Acre Amanda
Writings of Elizabeth Prentiss Maxine
The Opulent Poppy Eva
The Saxophone Players Wife Carolyn
The Gatepost Cassandra
Eight Acres of Eden Ann, A new blogging friend
Knights and Maidens Gathering Cinnamon, A new blogging friend
Okay! Now all of you get to pass this award on to 7 blogging acquaintences or friends who have less than 200 followers. They get to answer your questions and read your 7 - 11 answers! : )
Here are my 7 - 11 questions for you all:
1. What is your favorite devotional book?
2. What is your favorite dish to cook for supper?
3. What time period would you choose to live in?
4. Do you like to sew or hobby? Garden? Farm?
5. Have you had any physical challenges that you would like all of us to pray about? Any challenges or requests for prayers? EDIT: Praise reports too! : )
6. Do you have special frugal tricks?
7. Do you have any sewing patterns that are favorites that you would like to share with us?
8. One to grow on... Do you feel guilty when blogging? How do you handle that? An allotted time? Shunning perfection? : )
I hope everyone's having a sweet day! If you weren't tagged here and you would like to participate that's great, I would enjoy reading all about you. Some of you were already tagged on Marianna'a blog. (Carmen and Jane) : )
In His Great Love, ~Amelia